The content of the article
- 1 Screen selection
- 2 Step-by-step guide for installing a plastic screen with a shelf with your own hands
- 3 Shelves under the sink
During the next bathroom renovation, a logical question arises: where to place the shelves in this room: under the bathtub, on the wall or under the sink? Various accessories for hygiene procedures will be stored on them in large quantities, which should always be at hand, and, at the same time, not noticeable. These issues are designed to be solved by special bathroom furniture, which is represented by cabinets with shelves, various shelves (including under the bathroom screen) and cabinets.
To choose the right screen for your bathroom, you need to clearly understand what it is needed for.
Purpose of the screen
We list the main functions that the bathroom screen performs:
- Optimization of non-working space under the bathroom. On the shelves “hidden” in this niche you can store household chemicals and detergents. And if you attach special suction cup handles to them, you can reliably close access to them for children.
- Aesthetic. Firstly, it allows you to hide pipes and plumbing from prying eyes. Secondly, it makes it possible to create a beautiful interior, where you can use shelves to create stylish accents.
- The protective function of the screen is to prevent water from getting under the bathtub by closing access there, therefore, the risk of mold and mildew development is reduced to zero.
Materials from which the bathroom screen is made
Depending on the purpose, a bathroom screen with shelves can be:
- From MDF.
- Made from acrylic.
- Their drywall.
[note]Whatever material the screen is made of, it must be moisture resistant. [/note]
Screen design options
There are many constructive solutions for creating this element of the bathroom. Let's list the most common ones:
- Dull closed screen. Disadvantage: If the bathtub leaks or there are problems with the piping, you will need to destroy the screen in order to get under the bathtub.
- With pull-out or telescopic shelves.
- With hinged doors (one or two).
- Equipped with sliding doors.
- Bath screen with shelves.
Let's take a closer look at the last option.
Step-by-step guide for installing a plastic screen with a shelf with your own hands
Sequence of installation work:
- The location of the metal frame on the floor, walls and upper edge of the bathroom is marked with a marker or pencil.
- The metal profile is fastened along the markings with self-tapping screws.
- The places where the shelf is screwed to the guides are marked.
- The stationary shelf under the bathroom is screwed to the frame using self-tapping screws.
- In accordance with the distance between the metal guides, the dimensions of the PVC doors are calculated.
- Parts are cut out of plastic panels of a given size using a jigsaw.
- The doors are installed between two guides.
[note]When installing a metal profile on a cast-iron bathtub, you should not drill its side, otherwise you may damage the enamel layer. If the bathtub is made of acrylic, there is no need to worry about this. [/note]
Shelves under the sink
A cabinet with shelves under the sink is another useful device along with the screen. It is an integral part of the bathroom interior and additional storage space for toiletries. The advantages of this piece of furniture in the bathroom include:
- Possibility to hide hoses, pipes and communications in the cabinet.
- Smart use of space under the sink to store bathroom accessories. The shelves inside the cabinet further structure it.
- Aesthetic design of such interior elements in a single style solution.
- Durability achieved through the use of moisture-resistant materials.
Types of cabinets with shelves under the sink
Based on the method of attachment to the surface and location, the following bathroom cabinets are distinguished:
- Cabinet with legs. A convenient option for positioning the cabinet, preferable for placement on heated floors. Easy to install, allows you to easily clean under the cabinet. The legs, located at some distance from the floor, ensure that in the event of water leaking from the bathtub or sink, the cabinet will not be exposed to harmful moisture. For reliability, it is recommended to screw the cabinets to the wall with self-tapping screws. High-quality cabinet legs should be made of chrome-plated metal.
[note]To avoid damaging the floor tiles, you need to put special silicone pads on the legs of the cabinet. [/note]
- A hanging shelf under a bathroom sink gives the impression of airiness and weightlessness, since it has no visual support. Looks equally good in both small and large rooms. It is not afraid of water leaking from the bathroom, since it does not have contact with the floor. An ideal option if plumbing ducts are located on the floor. The disadvantage of a hanging cabinet is the difficulty of installation due to the fact that it must support its own weight.
- The cabinet with a plinth is easy to install and quite stable, because its base is in close contact with the floor surface. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage of this element of bathroom furniture. After all, sooner or later in the bathroom the base comes into contact with water, as a result of which it will inevitably deteriorate.
Having studied in detail the range of shelves for the bathroom and the methods of their installation, you can easily install a shelf under the bathtub or sink with your own hands. We hope that our article will help you with this.